Welcome to the Byronic Heroes gallery!
I am an avid reader and film watcher and I have been drawn to the dark, moody and mysterious characters since I can do either of the two things.
After getting to know Edward Rochester, Heathcliff and Mr. Darcy I eventually stumbled on the description "Byronic Hero" and I found that many other characters that I love like Jareth the Goblin King, Severus Snape, Geralt of Rivia, Lestat de Lioncourt and many more also fit into this category.
This group shall be a gallery for all the fictional tragic (anti)heroes (male or female) in literature and moving images.
I am aware that this stamp can be put on a huge amount of characters if loosely interpreted. I would ask you to keep the quality of submissions up to a certain standard.
I do not mind the occasional "Edward Cullen" picture (even though I do not like him), but please try to avoid the overly clichéd characters.
You can also submit your own characters, but please add a short description what makes them eligible for this gallery.
According to Wikipedia the Byronic hero typically exhibits several of the following traits:
- Cunning and able to adapt
- Disrespectful of rank and privilege
- Emotionally conflicted, bipolar, or moody
- Having a distaste for social institutions and norms
- Having a troubled past or suffering from an unnamed crime
- Intelligent and perceptive
- Jaded, world-weary
- Mysterious, magnetic and charismatic
- Seductive and sexually attractive
- Self-critical and introspective
- Socially and sexually dominant
- Sophisticated and educated
- Struggling with integrity
- Treated as an exile, outcast, or outlaw
Please make sure that your character submission shows at least five of these traits.
Apart from that any art form is allowed as long as the character is purely fictional (no troubled rock stars please
Please submit to the correct folder. At the moment 3 submissions a day are possible.